Monday, July 5, 2010

Chicken again, plus July 4th bonus recipe

We eat a lot of chicken around here. We eat other things occasionally too, but we cooked meals are often chicken based. Perhaps I should change the name to 101 ways to cook yardbird.

It's been a while since I posted about Crockpot chicken. I was still eating leftovers for lunch today! The next evening, I did go with a new recipe, from a friend, wherein I made BBQ Chicken pizza. Shred up that crock cooked bird, mix in some store bought BBQ sauce, spread over a crust (Ready or home made, your choice) and cover it in mozzerella--or not, if you are dairy free like me. Easy peasy!

We have had other meals in between I promise, but nothing too exciting. Spaghetti, hamburgers, and one night of "fend for yourself, you had fast food for lunch!" last Friday when I'd been in the kitchen all day baking for market. (Count that day was: 10 full size sourdough, 5 mini-sourdough, 4 rye, and 12 cheddar-garlic.)

And here we are, a new week, and it's chicken again! We scored some free peaches from a fellow market vendor and even though we sliced some into a fruit salad for the 4th of July*, I have several left. So, Peach Chicken it is!

Fresh peaches
Brown Sugar
Chicken Breasts
Peach babyfood puree 2-3 jars (optional)

I have been making this for a couple years now, and only recently have I added the peach puree--simply because I have way more baby food then my little guy can eat, so I have gotten creative with it's use! You can absolutely leave it out.

Preheat oven to 350. Place thawed chicken breasts in a cassarole dish. Cover in peaches (or puree, or both). Cover that in Brown sugar. Do you have any more peaches sliced or needing to be used up? Do another couple layers of peaches and brown sugar. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg if you want---no worries if you don't.

Bake it, uncovered, until it's done. Probably about 30 min or so.


*Fourth of July menu:
Hamburgers or Hotdogs
Fried summer squash and zucchini!!!**
Fruit salad
Corn on the cob
smores
onion rings

I never did get to the hamburgers, I was so busy eating the other stuff :)

Fried Summer Squash:
About a cup of cornmeal
About a cup of flour
some salt
some pepper,
some paprika

Slice and rinse several yellow squash and zuchini
dredge them in the breading
pan fry until brown
drain on paper towels
salt to taste

I have eaten them two days in a row and still want more just writing about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment